Dr. Anil K. Patnaik
Office: 209E - ASEC
- Ph.D. (Structures), The University of Calgary
- M.Tech. (Structural Eng.), Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- B.Sc. Eng (Honors), Civil Engineering, National Institute of Technology, Rourkela
Awards and Honors
- 08/07 – present, Associate Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, The University of Akron
- 08/01 – 08/07, Associate/Assistant Professor, South Dakota School of Mines and Technology, Rapid City, South Dakota.
- 09/04 – 08/07, Site Director, National Science Foundation (NSF) Center for Friction Stir Processing (CFSP), SDSM&T, Rapid City, SD.
Courses Taught (last 10 years):
- Highly commendable paper award at the International Conference on “Recent Advances in Concrete – RAC-2007”, Washington D.C., Sep. 2007.
- Two papers were judged by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) to be among the “most outstanding SAE technical papers of 2005”.
- Fellowship of the Association of Commonwealth Universities, London, United Kingdom: 1999
- Martin P. Korn award of the Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute, Chicago IL in 1994 for a paper published in their journal.
- Best paper award of the Indian Society for Earthquake Technology (ISET) in 1991.
- Best paper award of the Indian Society for Earthquake Technology (ISET) in 1989.
- Best student research paper award at the Annual Conference of the Canadian Society for Civil Engineering, Vancouver, B.C. in 1991.
Current Research Interests
- Steel Design (I and II)
- Structural Analysis (I and II)
- Advanced Reinforced Concrete Design
- Prestressed Concrete Design
- Adv FRP Applications in Civ Eng
- Basalt FRP bars and Sheets for structural applications
- Structures made from titanium alloys
- Fiber reinforced concrete with basalt fiber and polypropylene fiber
- Structural behavior of friction stir welded structures
- Behavior of composite concrete members
- Strengthening of steel beams and concrete members with FRP
Select Publications (total over 55)
- Patnaik, A.K., MacDonald, C., MacDonald, M., and Ramakrishnan, V., Review of ASTM C1399 Test for the Determination of Average Residual Strength of Fiber Reinforced Concrete, Recent Advances in Concrete Technology (RAC07), Baltimore, MD, Sep. 2007, 10 pages. This paper received “highly commendable” award of RAC2007.
- Patnaik, A.K., Schurger, J., Steele, A., Allen, C.D., and Arbegast, W.J., Compression Buckling Behavior of 7075-T6 Aluminum Skin Stiffened Panels Fabricated by Friction Stir Welding, Paper No. 2005-01-3322, SAE 2005 Transactions Journal of Aerospace, Society of Automotive Engineers, March 2006, pp. 1053-1061. This paper was judged as “most outstanding paper” by SAE.
- Arbegast, W.J. and Patnaik, A.K., Process Parameter Development and Fixturing Issues for Friction Stir Welding of Aluminum Beam Assemblies, Paper No. 2005-01-3333, Society of Automotive Engineers, SAE 2005 Transactions Journal of Aerospace, March 2006, pp. 1093-1107. This paper was judged as “most outstanding paper” by SAE.
- Patnaik, A.K., Koch, K., Arbegast, W.J., and Allen, C., Static Properties of “Refill” Friction Spot Welded Skin Stiffened Compression Panels, Paper No. 2006-01-0967, Special Publication No. SP-2034, 2006, Society of Automotive Engineering (SAE), pp. 155-162.
- Ramakrishnan, V., Zellar, R., and Patnaik, A.K., Plastic Shrinkage Reduction Potential of a new High Tenacity Monofilament Polypropylene Fiber, in American Concrete Institute ACI/CANMET Special Publication SP243 on Recent Advances in Concrete Technology - Editor: V.M. Malhotra, May 2007, pp. 49-62.
- Ramakrishnan, V., Zellar, R., and Patnaik, A.K., High Performance Synthetic Fiber for Enhancing Concrete Properties, in Fiber Reinforced Materials, Edited by C. Stanley, T.S. Lok, and P. Prochazka, Oct. 2006, pp. 45-56.
- Patnaik, A.K. and Ramakrishnan, V., Research Needs for High Volume Fly Ash Concrete, ICI Journal, Vol. 5, No. 3, Nov.-Dec. 2004, pp. 13-18.
- Patnaik, A.K., Puli, R.K., and Mylavarapu, R., Basalt FRP: A new FRP material for infrastructure market ?, ACMBS-IV - Editors: M. El-Badry and L. Dunaszegi, Canadian Society of Civil Engineers, Montreal, Canada, July 2004, 8 pages.
- Patnaik, A.K., and Bauer, C., Strengthening of Beams with Carbon FRP Laminates, ACMBS-IV - Editors: M. El-Badry and L. Dunaszegi, Canadian Society of Civil Engineers, Montreal, Canada, July 2004, 8 pages.
- Becque, J., Patnaik, A.K. and Rizkalla, S.H., Analytical Models for Concrete Confined with FRP Tubes, Journal of Composites for Construction, American Society of Civil Engineers, February 2003, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 31-38.
- Patnaik, A.K., Behavior of Composite Concrete Beams with a Smooth Interface, Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, April 2001, Vol. 127 No. 4, pp. 359-366.
- Loov, R.E. and Patnaik, A.K., Horizontal Shear Strength of Composite Concrete beams, The PCI Journal, Chicago IL, Jan-Feb. 1994, pp. 48-69: This paper received the Martin P. Korn award of the PCI.