08/2010 ~ Present
Ph.D. Candidate in Civil Engineering, The University of Akron.
Research Topics: Multi-scale Characterization and Failure Simulation of Triaxial
Braided Carbon/Epoxy Composites
Expertise: Composite Technology and Structural Engineering
Advisor: Dr.Wieslaw K. Binienda
Cumulative GPA: 3.975/4.0
Expected Graduation Date: Dec, 2013
09/2008 ~ 06/2010
M. Eng. in Composite Science, Wuhan University of Technology
Expertise: Material Science and Engineering
Thesis: Cure Behavior and Kinetic Study of Modified Phenol Formaldehyde Resins
09/2004 ~ 06/2008
B. Eng. in Composite Engineering, Wuhan University of Technology
Thesis: Preparation and Evaluation of Polysiloxane Modified Polyurethanes
Research Areas of Interest
Composite Engineering and Technology
- Mechanical behavior of polymer and polymer composites
- Thermo-hygro-mechanical properties, aging response and repair of composites
- High strain rate and impact response
Aircraft/Automotive/Armor Structure Impact Engineering
- Design, analysis and evaluation of automotive, aircraft and armor structures
- Crashworthiness, impact analysis and modeling of structures
Polymer Engineering and Kinetics
- Characterization and kinetic analysis of polymer thermal physical properties and reactions
- Analysis and modeling of polymer time-dependent mechanical behavior
Proficiencies and skills
- 9+ years undergraduate and graduate research experience in polymers and composites research;
- 7+ years hand-on experience in thermal measurement, polymer composite manufacturing, mechanical and ageing tests;
- 5+ years in polymer kinetic analysis, composite mechanical, lifing and finite element analysis;
- 3+ years in high strain rate response of polymer composites and crashworthiness of aircraft structures;
- Advocate for a strong interdisciplinary approach and a proactive team worker.
- Experienced in polymer and composite fabrication techniques (curing kinetics, resin transfer molding, autoclave, pultrusion, filament winding), Fracture characterization of polymers and composites;
- INSTRON and MTS mechanical testing devices, Digital image correlation, Non-destructive test (Acoustic Emission and X-ray CT);
- Computer-controlled thermal analysis instruments (DSC, TGA, DMA), SEM, TEM, Environmental chambers.
- Finite element analysis package (Abaqus, LS-DYNA, NASTRN, Patran and Hypermesh);
- Experienced in MSOffice, Plotting software (Origin, Sigma-Plot), Mathematica and Matlab.
Multi-scale Characterization and Failure Analysis of Carbon/Epoxy Triaxial Braided Composites (Cooperated with NASA Glenn Research Center)
Figure 1: Global axial tension stress-strain response including failure initiation. see image
Figure 2: Comparison of experimental and computational axial strain contours (εx) during axial tension test at global strain levels of 1.0% and 2.0% see image
Figure 3: Global stress-strain response and failure initiation of transverse tension see image
Figure 4. Comparison of experimental and computational surface shear strain contour (εxy) of transverse tension test at global strain level 0.6% and 1.2% see image
Thermal Cycling Aging of Carbon/Epoxy Triaxial Braided Composites (Cooperated with NASA Glenn Research Center)
Figure 1: Microcracks in the interior plies for 3502/T700s and PR520/T700s after 50 thermal cycles (the white lines in the images are the microcracks) see image
Figure 2: The relationship of acoustic emission events versus temperature (a) and time (b) for the first 50 thermal cycles of 3502/T700s composite system see image
Figure 3: Strength (a) and stiffness (b) reduction versus crack density for composite model with only +60° or -60° microcracks (AT: axial tension, TC: transverse compression) see image
Figure 4: Failure shape and Von Misses contour of undamaged panel (a) and aging-damaged panel (b) see image
Impact and Crush study of Automobile Structure (Funded by Honda R&D Americas)
Developed a computational efficient model for weld-bonding simulation in LS-Dyna
Addressed adhesive property on impact and crush failure behavior of automobile structures
Crashworthiness Analysis of Aircraft Structure
Figure 1: Experimental and numerical results of the deformed leading edge after impact see image
Figure 2: Comparison of fuselage failure shape at different time steps (The left ones are this simulation using this piece-wise plasticity model, the right ones are the experimental results conducted by Fasanella  and the middle ones are the corresponding simulation results) see image
Figure 3: 2-D vectors and streamline velocity plots for an attack angle of 20˚ on two line sections of the wing: (a) close to the fuselage, (b) far from the fuselage. see image
Bird strike Analysis of Composite Random Structure
Developed hybrid numerical models for the composite sandwich structure in LS-Dyna and Abaqus
Evaluated the impact performance of the sandwich structure and correlated with tests successfully
Thermal-mechanical Analysis on Design of Fiber Optic Hermetic Patchcord (Funded by Hemon Tech)
Built an efficient finite element model for stress analysis of fiber glass sealing process
Designed a material system with best resultant performance
PLEASE CHECK THE VIDEO LINK
Cure Behavior and Kinetic Study of Modified Phenol Formaldehyde Resins
Figure 1: Experimental data and model fitting prediction of curing rate at different heating rates & Figure 2: Dependence of activation energy on the curing degree
- Chao Zhang, Wieslaw K Binienda, Numerical Evolution of Test Approaches for Triaxial Braided Composite Using Meso-scale Finite Element Method, In Preparation.
- Chao Zhang, Wieslaw K Binienda, Numerical Analysis of Free Edge Effect in Braided Composite, Submitted to Composites PartB.
- Chao Zhang, Wieslaw K Binienda, Robert K Goldberg, Lee W Kohlman, Meso-scale Failure Modeling of Single layer Triaxial Braided Composite using Finite Element Method, Submitted to Composites Part A.
- Chao Zhang, Wieslaw K Binienda, Lee W Kohlman, Analytical and Numerical Analysis on Elastic Behavior of Triaxial Braided Composites, Journal of Aerospace Engineering.(Published on line - July 12, 2013)
- Chao Zhang, Wieslaw K Binienda, Frank E Horvat, and Wenzhi Wang, Application of Numerical Methods for Crashworthiness Investigation on Aircraft Wing Impact with Tree, Mathematical and Computational Forestry & Natural-Resource Sciences, 2013, 5(1):71-85. (Invited)
- Chao Zhang, Wieslaw K Binienda, Gregory N Morscher, Rirchard E Martin, Lee W Kohlman, Experimental and FEM Study of Thermal Cycling Induced Microcracking in Carbon/Epoxy Triaxial Braided Composite, Composites Part A, 2013, 46, 34-44.
- Xiaochuan Ye, Liming Zeng, Chao Zhang, Lei Chen, Model free Kinetic Study of Phenol Formaldehyde Resin Cure, Journal of Wuhan University of Technology, 2012, 34 (1):1-5.
- Chao Zhang, Wieslaw K Binienda, Liming Zeng, Xiaochuan, Ye, Shuwen Chen, Kinetic Study of the Novolac Resin Curing Process Using Model Fitting and Model-free Methods, Thermochimica Acta, 2011(523):63-69.
- Chao Zhang, Liming Zeng, Xiaochuan Ye and Lei Chen, Model-fitting Kinetic Analysis of Phenol formaldehyde Resin, Journal of Wuhan University of Technology, 2010, 32 (13):18-22.
- Chao Zhang, Wieslaw K Binienda, Multi-scale Finite Element Simulation of Triaxially Braided Composite, American Society for Composites 28th Technical Conference, September 9-11, 2013.
- Chao Zhang, Wieslaw K Binienda, Gregory N Morscher, Rirchard E Martin, Lee W Kohlman, Finite Element Modeling of Thermal Cycling Induced Microcracking in Carbon/Epoxy Triaxial Braided Composite, Earth and Space Conference 2012, Pasadena, CA, April 15-18, 2012.
- "Meso-scale Characterization of Failure Mechanism of Single-layer Triaxially Braided Composite", American Society for Composites 28th Technical Conference, State College, PA, Sep 9-11, 2013.
- "Application of Numerical Methods for Crashworthiness Investigation on Aircraft Wing Impact with Tree", 9th Annual University of Akron Student Innovation Symposium, Thursday, April 10, 2013. (Poster)
- "Thermal Cycling Induced Microcracking in Carbon/Epoxy Triaxial Braided Composite", NSF Workshop on Boundary Element Method (BEM), Bridging Education and Industrial Application, Minneapolis, MN, April 23-26, 2012. (Poster)
- "Thermal Cycling Induced Microcracking in Carbon/Epoxy Triaxial Braided Composite", Earth and Space Conference 2012, Pasadena, CA, April 15-18, 2012.
- "Multi-scale Characterization of Carbon/Epoxy Triaxial Braided Composites", International Graduate Summer School on Aeronautics and Astronautics, Beihang University, Beijing, China, July 11-17, 2012.
Referee of Journals
- Composites Science and Technology
- Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacture
- Composite Interfaces
- Engineering Fracture Mechanics
- Shock and Vibration
Honours and Awards
- Best Paper Award of Earth and Space 2012 Conference, 2012
- Annual Prestigious Summer Graduate Fellowship, The University of Akron, 2012
- Yongzhong Graduate Scholarship, Wuhan University of Technology, 2008-2010
- Outstanding Graduate Student with honor, Wuhan University of Technology, 2008
- Fengyi Student Scholarship, Wuhan University of Technology, 2005-2006
- Outstanding Student Scholarship, Wuhan University of Technology, 2004-2006